An Interview with Ivan Sulic, Community Manager
By Sol Invictus and Vivian for 21rpg and Hellgate Guru
1. FSS has announced that the PVP model would be like a competition. Is there to be a rank system within the PVP model you’re developing?
Ivan Sulic: We hope so, yes.
2. Does the transformation skill for the Cabalist (if it is still in) really change their looks, or does it simply give them special abilities from demons?
Ivan Sulic: Transformation really does change a Cabalist’s looks, yes. We even have full Zombie, Fetid Hulk and Imp Shaman transformations in right now.
3. Do you plan to release an eastern edition of Hellgate: London in the way that EQ2 does, which makes characters look more eastern in appearance and design?
Ivan Sulic: This is to be determined. We are currently adding some generic Asian elements to our game, but whether or not a Far East version will significantly differ from a Western version has yet to be decided. I would guess the answer is no, however.
4. Is the highest level character for HGL the same as Diablo’s at level 99?
Ivan Sulic: Not currently. Our maximum level has yet to be determined. I’d like to point out that it’s all arbitrary numbers until balancing comes into play, however.
5. Is there any eastern classes will be show in HGL like Monk or Ninja?
Ivan Sulic: No. Hellgate: London is very much focused on London and general European mythos. If we go Eastern with an expansion pack or sequel, then we will certainly incorporate Far East classes to represent that.
6. What are your plans for a global community of players in Hellgate: London? Will the servers be divided by locations or could everyone play on a single server, like in Guild Wars?
Ivan Sulic: We currently do not have plans for any international lockouts. This, however, may change as development continues. Then again, all things might.
7. When your character dies, does he suffer from any sort of death penalty? Also, do you have to retrieve your body to get back all of your equipment as in Diablo II, or do you have a different way of handling that?
Ivan Sulic: We will have penalties associated with death. What exactly they are is to be determined. Likewise, how / if we handle the recovery of your own loot is to be determined.
8. Does HGL have any crafting system?
Ivan Sulic: Nope. No crafting whatsoever.
9. Can mods be implemented in focus items?
Ivan Sulic: I believe we are planning for that, yes.
10. If you can’t reset or respect skill points in HG:L, will FSS give players some guide for helping them to develop their character?
Ivan Sulic: We’ll have documentation that describes what the skills do, but I don’t believe we will encourage players to build out their characters in any particular way, no.
11. Flagship has mentioned awhile back that there were no specific guild-related features in Hellgate: London that have made it into the game as of yet. With that said, have you guys made any definitive plans as to how you plan to incorporate guilds into the game?
Ivan Sulic: No definite plans.
12. Is armor and other pieces of equipment besides weapons customizable and moddable? If so, to what degree can we mod our armor?
Ivan Sulic: Unfortunately, armor and other items are not currently moddable. This may change, however.
13. Will there be cloth robes, cloaks or trenchcoats in the game and if so, will they have realistic cloth animation?
Ivan Sulic: There are currently no cloth robes, trench coats or cloaks in the game. Cloaks are still under consideration, however. But it is likely they will be withheld for ongoing content.
14. Is there anything similar to making runewords in Diablo 2?
Ivan Sulic: We do not have rune words in our game. That is, putting specifics mods into special weapons in any particular order will not yield a set unique result.
15. Will there be an easy way to transfer items to other characters on your account? How are you planning to handle player storage?
Ivan Sulic: We are currently planning a shared vault for all characters on an account.
16. Does the character need food to survive or increase their stamina and strength?
Ivan Sulic: Nope. There is no food or sleeping in Hellgate: London.
17. Does HGL have a sniper weapon?
Ivan Sulic: Yes, but they cannot currently zoom, oddly enough.
Thanks for your time, Ivan!